Friday, May 28, 2010

My Student Films!

Abominable

This was completed as part of the 8 month Digital Animation program at Capilano University. It was a very intensive course and I'm surprised I manage to learn all the necessary skills to actually make a film in that short amount of time.

Due to my previous experience in 2D animation, I was able to design, storyboard and animate this with maybe a bit less pain than without it. This allowed me to focus on getting the modelling, textures/shaders, lighting and rigging right. The faculty there was very helpful in making sure that the project was setup for success rather than for failure.



Documentary

This was the traditionally animated film that I did as part of the Classical Animation program at Vancouver Film School. I came to this school already being a Fine Arts major in painting and drawing but quickly realised I still had a lot to learn in visual art. Although I gained a fundamental understanding of the principles of animation there, I also learned new things about drawing and design.

The best thing about the program at VFS was its emphasis on storytelling and actually making a finished film. With inspirational faculty like Marv Newland, Moose Pagan, Wayne Morris and Dieter Mueller that focused on the art rather than the commercial, I really gained a strong appreciation for the unconventional short film.

Of course, the look of my film ended up being pretty conventional. Haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment